Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

David Ewing
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was reading up on your EFI conversion on the projects page and I was wondering how that project was coming along. I'm thinking about getting some money together and going down that road myself and was hoping to get some more details about the project and it's results.

Thanks
Benski  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been pondering over an EFI setup also. Seems reasonably feasible. I was thinking about getting an individual throttle body setup from TWM - http://www.twminduction.com - and the computer from electromotive. The project is just in the research phase and may be many months or a year before I get the money and motivation to start.

Let me know what your thoughts were on an EFI conversion

-benski
TroyDest  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with David Ewing a couple months ago and he was still working on his system. He was kind enough to send me some pictures of his installation. He's cool.

As far as EFI goes...it's the way to go if you can. I live in California where they frown if you have a braided line going to a boost guage in the dash of if you have an air/fuel gauge! There's no way I could get away with an EFI conversion. I would if I could. Check out SDSEFI.com; it's a very friendly website. Their system is simple (hence the name of the company) and economical.

I'm not sure if individual throttle bodies would have any benefit on a turbo engine. It would be a pain to plumb 'cause you'd have to join the four inlets together for the turbo boost. I do think moving the injectors away from the head would be beneficial though, for atomization and heat reasons. I think Peter Utzon would be the person to ask about throttle bodies since it looks like that what he has in mind for his 924 Carrera GTR engine (in the models and history page of 924.org).

Just my opinion. -Troy
Benski  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the individual throttles in mind for an N/A setup. I agree it would be needlessly complex for a turbo. Maybe the existing intake manifold could be machined for injectors + a fuel rail.

The one thing I didn't like about the SDS system was the batch-injection. If I'm going to go through all the trouble of putting an EFI system on then, god damnit, I want sequential injection.
TroyDest  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benski, good point. I'm a little squeemish about CIS and batch injection also. Sequential injection just makes more sense for power. -Troy
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jmengines.com

This guy has a very nice intake manifold. It uses barrel valves, one for each cylinder. I think he has integrated the fuel injection into it too, but don't quote me on it.
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrel valves are at the pointy end of the technology, hence the price.

Take a look at a couple of my posts in the Links forum:

Quad throttle bodies http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?topic=1714&forum=11&0 these bolt up to weber carb manifolds but the price is right, around $1300 Australian which is around $700 US. They come with everything you need except injectors.

These might also be relevant http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?topic=1712&forum=11&0 and http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?topic=1716&forum=11&

[ This Message was edited by: Peter_in_AU on 2002-04-06 11:08 ]
jamez  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sdsefi.com/techseq.htm

heres what SDS has to say about sequential injection
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me 6 months and I'll be fabbing up some clones of the barrel valve system. Good ol JM doesn't have an internation patent it seems, and I live in Canada
Benski  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamez,

SDS's explanation is a copout. They are basically saying "batch injection works as well at full throttle and high rpm so why bother?"

That's the same reason why a big racing carbs have good performance.

But the real reason we want an EFI system is not just more power but also better drivability and gas mileage!
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes. That too. But mostly the power. I figure if we're going to the trouble of shelling out thousands for an EFI setup, why the hell should we have to settle for second rate?

BTW, the barrel valve intake goes for $4500. Ouch.
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the SDS system looks pretty darned slick, after looking at their stuff I am considering reselling my Haltech and getting an SDS (especially since I haven't installed the Haltech fully yet).

If you are H311 bent on sequential injectors, the new Haltech E6k does bank, sequential, multipoint, and staged, all out of the box, but the ECU is $1400 without any of the extra options.
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got my car running well with the stock CIS system. Yes, perhaps I will go to a more modern fuel injection setup someday, but I do not believe for the money you will see a big increase in power or drivability because the CIS was so advanced for it's day! It still works fine.

The reason for me to change will inevitably be because the intake path is inefficent. Too many bends in the intake path.

- Jon McCullough
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, that's outrageous, $1400 for an E6K! I presume that you're talking USD. An E6K down here is $1495 recommended (max) retail and thats $Oz which us about US$800. Someone's making a killing and I bet it's not Haltech Australia.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to self, buy ECU from Australia. Even I have a stonger dollar than you Australians.

If you think thats outrageous, price a Motec. try $6000+
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: