Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Rebuild kits?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
944s2guy  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Rebuild kits? Reply with quote

New to the 924 Turbo so I'm a newbie to these Audi based engines. But I picked up a 1980 Turbo S (931S w/M471, LSD, etc..) that smokes alot during startup, alot! And still puffs some out the back after warming up properly. Just wondering what the best approach to getting the engine back to the proper condition would be. What are some the known issues?

Anyone know of a good mechanic for these cars in the Omaha or Des Moines area?

Thanks guys!

'91 944S2
'84 944
'80 931S (SMOKEY!)
CMXXXI  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My educated guess is that the turbo and/or cylinder head needs to be rebuilt. If you plan on keeping the car, I'd suggest investing in a CIS pressure gauge set. It's the only tool that will definitively troubleshoot the fuel system. Turbos will need replacement every few years depending on mileage and how you drive. ALWAYS sit at idle for a minute before shutting down so the turbo will spool down. It is cooled purely by air and oil. Broken top compression rings are also common. Someone with a like-model-year will have to chime in about the electronics. When was the engine rebuilt last, do you know?

You will develop shifting problems if you havent experienced them already. The snailshell synchros are a known issue, as are the shift linkage bushings. Have you done a SN confirmation on the transmission to validate the LSD option?
Jazzerpet  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in luck. The “Omaha Crew” (in Omaha of course) is a hop skip and jump from you. I have rebuilt my 931, and one of the 924’s. We have a good stock of tools, knowledge, and willingness to help. If we run across something we cant figure out, or find an answer to in the factory manuals, there are a few mechanics in town that know our cars.

Effingham is a week away and we are getting ready for the trip. Of course, like most, summer activities keep us a bit busy but there is always time to work on the cars. Why don’t you contact me, or one of the crew, and we can see what shakes out.

Jim
944s2guy  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim,

I'm currently restoring the interior (yeah, I know - doing it backwards). As soon as I have that done it will time to work on the engine.

I'll contact you via PM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: