Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Help with Shudder Diagnosis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
northern924  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that someone can help me with a vibration diagnosis. The car begins to shudder at about 3000 rpms. If I put it into neutral after it begins to shudder, it will continue to vibrate for another 3 seconds or so. I changed the transmission but this did not help. Could it be a throw out bearing or a damaged drive shaft? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
jcope  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motor mounts?
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motor mounts! Doesn't matter how hard you look at them they'll look fine. You could try very gently jacking up the motor which might help you see if/where they're broken.
northern924  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mounts look fine and I know one was replaced less than a year ago. It sounds like something is rotating when the vibration occurs. It's just wierd that when put into neutral it will give a good shudder and then stop. As if the something rotating came to a hault. That's why I was thinking the drive shaft or the clutch throw out bearing. Has anyone ever had problems with these and know what happens when they go? Thanks
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like what I had except I wouldn't describe it as a shudder, there wasn't any shaking involved. It was more of a bearing grind sound). It would make noise only when I had the clutch engaged or just after engaging.....turned out to be the throw out bearing and/or the pilot bearing. I completely replaced the clutch, TO bearing, pilot bearing, and pressure plate and the noise went away.
northern924  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replys. Here's an update. I went out to the car and attempted to put it in gear and heard a clunk. Now, it won't go into any gear. I suspect something is broken in the clutch. I'll let you know when I get it apart in case someone else has the same symptoms sometime.

[ This Message was edited by: northern924 on 2002-04-06 01:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: northern924 on 2002-04-06 01:16 ]
-nick  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bingo, it' the pilot bearing. put a little grease on the new one when you put it back in.

-nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: