Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924S only running on 2 cylinders

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GP510  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a problem with my '87 924S. It is only running on 2 cylinders, #1 and #2 are firing. #3 seems to fire for no more than a second when I attach the connector to the injector. #4 does nothing. If I attach #3's connector to #4 injector, #4 fires for no more than a second. #3 and #4 are getting spark. I have checked the wiring from the injectors back to the DME and all show good continuity. I am going to check the waveform with an ocsiliscope(sp) this weekend. I think that the DME is bad. Any thoughts? Thanks for your input.

[ This Message was edited by: GP510 on 2002-03-16 04:46 ]
GP510  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the waveform this weekend and it is good. The only thing I can come up with is that both injectors quit working at the same time. Guess I will install two new injectors and see what happens.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: GP510 on 2002-03-19 05:28 ]
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you disconnect only one injector? Does it run better?

I seem to recall that there was a trick question related to this failure mode, specifically some failure in the electrical system, but I can't remember what the answer was (didn't pay attention, I don't have EFI), but I might be able to find out that answer if that does make an impact.

You might also check in on the 944 mailing list at rennlist.org

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
GP510  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can disconnect #3 or #4 with no change. I do get a change for about a second when I connect #3. It seems to get fuel for a second then back to only running on 2 cylinders, specifically running on #1 and #2.
I have injectors on the way. I hope the injectors are the problem. I'm getting a little frustrated.

Thanks!!
Bart
GP510  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the problem......the power wire to the #4 injector is corroded and broken inside the wiring harness. I think when I get the harness out I will find that #3 wire doesn't have a very good connection either. The wire is broken at about the point that the harness runs through a insulated clamp at the back of the motor. Now I get to take apart most of the intake to get the wiring harness out of the car for the repair.

Thank!
Bart
Bartlesville, OK
1987 924S

[ This Message was edited by: gp510 on 2002-03-25 15:34 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: