Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Front End Update Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lousailor  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok it's finally time to bite the bullet and pull apart the front end. I'm going to replace the front bushings, and shocks and possibly upgrade the springs. I don't really want to change the stock ride height, but I do want to tighten up the ride (daily driver, no racing). I'm going to do most of the work myself, probably followed by a professional alignment. What is my best bet if I don't want to spend an arm and a leg? I was looking at Boge/Sachs inserts/shocks with 220 lb H&R springs. Do I need to install snubbers as well? Should I think about replacing the sway bar or rear torsion bar? Thanks. It'll be a long road to make my junker a curb queen, but I'm finally getting some free time to get the work done.

924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll likely want swaybar upgrades. I've heard the front springs are popular, but you'll want to add more rear swaybar or torsion bar to compensate, or the car will understeer more (all else being equal). One option, which I personally like very much and have on my racecar, is the 19mm adjustable 944 Cup Car bar, aka the M030 rear bar. You'll be able to decide how much bar you want. It's also very inexpensive, at about $140 with bushings last I checked, and higher quality than the Weltmeister bars (since it's an original Porsche part).

If you really want much flatter cornering, you may need a bigger front bar as well, necessitating a bigger rear bar than 19mm, which means Weltmeister front and rear. Replacing the rear torsion bars and front springs could do the same thing, but would give a stiffer ride as well (swaybars impact your ride much less), and the torsion bars are very painful to replace - requires a lot of time and effort, not to mention trial and error to get the correct ride height afterwards. BTDT. I suspect you'll just want swaybars.

Shocks are like religion, everybody's got their thing. I'm in the process of putting Bilsteins on my turbo.

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Lousailor  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vaughan, i'll let you know what I end up with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: