Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Weight savings and aluminum "floormats"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did it. I stripped the sound deadening material from the floor boards. The sound deadening (with the exception of the "trunk" area) weighs in at 60 lbs. I am also leaving out all carpeting and I have coated the interior with truck bed liner (looks cooler than it sounds), the truck bed liner only added back (approximately, it was weighed while it was wet) 5 lbs, so it is a very good trade off. I also made diamond plate aluminum floormats so the interior won't get skuffed up by feet. Check out the pictures on my site under the "Stripped Interior" section.

Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't strip the cabin floors yet but did the trunk and rear seat section. I used a heat gun and a razor scrapper. Then washed off the residue with a solvent.
Reason for this post is I painted the rear and trunk with POR15. Comes in colors and wears like iron. Will not come off hands or floor. You will have to wear it off.
Joes924  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested to know how the noise level has changed.
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately, I don't know yet (there is currently no engine in my car), but who really cares about engine noise in a Porsche?

I would suspect that it will be a pretty big increase in noise level.
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added pictures of the drivers side floor mat to my site. The pictures are at the bottom of the Stripped Interior/Aluminum floor mats page. Also, check out my aluminum accelerator pedal.
bacook  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost done removing the sound deadening material from my car using a butane torch and scraper. What a PITA! Anyways, what solvent did you use? Did it work on the carpet padding clue as well? Did you brush on the POR15, or spray?
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't use any solvent when I removed the material from my car. I just used a normal electric heat gun (at 1000 degrees F) and scrapped alot. The truck bed liner covers up any small abnormalities in the texture with it's own texture. The material Vince is talking about is pretty much the same stuff, but the stuff I got only comes in black (which is what I wanted anyway).
Cbass  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when do you slap your engine back in? I want to know how it sounds.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alex...do you have pictures of these mats?

Wanna sell some?
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rick, check out my website (www.alexroy.net, on the "stripped interior/aluminum floormats" page), there are pictures there. I would be willing to sell you some, but I don't know if it would be worth it to you (cost for the metal alone for me from the supplier is $65, then there is welding and a couple of hours of polishing).

[ This Message was edited by: Alex Roy on 2002-04-25 06:37 ]
wdb  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get aluminum diamond plate from a scrap metal yard .ALOT cheaper than any retail metal supplier, you have to look around and find pieces that are in good condition ,to save you time clening them up.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job on that foot rest in the drivers compartment!
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick-I spent 3 hours grinding and polishing!

...and thank you for noticiing, that makes it worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: