Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Gremlins
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wdb  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while you are in the valve cover,you could clean the holes in the oiling tube to make sure you are getting enough oil on each cam lobe.a cutting torch tip cleaner (oxy/aceteline)would work for this,there like pin sized files. a hardware store should have them,if not a welding supply place will have them
Ants  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you have my twin brother car, it does all of the above.

Can anyone answer the question about the flaking bonnet lining cos mines doin it also, nice big clumps fall on the engine:-)

Ants
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my hood insulation with some mylar faced foam that I got from JC Whitney. Looks like they no longer sell exactly the same stuff that I got. Mine was 1" thick foam with mylar on one side and it was self adhesive
on the other. Here's a link to the closest thing that they have now: (it has a layer of vinyl in the center, but; no self adhesive - you'd need to use contact cement)

http://jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=139117&BQ=jcw2

After scraping the old stuff off it was in no condition to use as a pattern. I got some large sheets of paper, taped one edge to hold it, then pressed the paper up into the bottom of the hood. This leaves creases in the
paper. Just cut along the creases and you have a pattern to lay over the foam and mark it for cutting.

(Place a tarp over the engine to catch all the old junk during scraping.)

Or you could spend about $150 usd for precut pieces. Automotion used to carry it, but; I don't see it in any current catalogs.

[ This Message was edited by: Smoothie on 2002-10-28 03:38 ]
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes Larso! Ya scared me there buddy - so much that I had to get my Haynes book and see for myself, but; I must have a different edition. Mine says to adjust intake valves to .004" cold (.008" hot) and exhausts to .016" cold (.018" hot). My book is dated 1984, ISBN 1 85010 078 0 (ISBN 1 85010 073 X (US)) by Charles Lipton and John H Haynes. It gives the same specs on pages 22 and 45 - same numbers for 924NA, European 924 Turbo and US 924 Turbo. !?!?!?!
Chaz  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The error is actually in the tolerance they give. They give +- .5 mm but it should be +- .05 mm.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ants,

I just got a new Performance/Automotion catalog. They do still carry the hood insulation.

Link to original style engine soundproofing: (part numbers 905622(L) and 905623(R) $56.95 for each side)
Original Type Hood Liner

.75" Soundproofing with Silver Mylar surface:
(part number 912100(L&R) $89.95 both sides included)
Chrome Mylar Surfaced Hood Liner

These are cut for 1976-88 924, 924S, 944, 944S & 944 Turbo and don't have the cutout for the 924 Turbo's NACA duct, so; any way you cut it, you still have to cut it. Small price to pay for having the coolest car in the parking lot..

[ This Message was edited by: Smoothie on 2002-10-28 03:37 ]
Ants  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Smoothie, never heard of those people before but they have tons of cool stuff.

Thanx again

Ants
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: