Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

plans for basic upgrades

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisoc  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not wealthy but I want to be able to run with the big dogs in my class without parting with my boys college funds. I'm not trying to build a MEGA hp track queen. I am just looking to add some pep as inexpensively as possible.
My main motivation is that a brand new track was built less than 70 miles from my driveway(my pevious home track was 200 miles away). Their web site is http://www.midamericamotorpex.com Its a 2.1 mile road course and they are putting big dollars into it.
Here it is. I'm going to tell you what I have(part 1), what I'm planning(part 1) and eventually what it cost(part 2) and what the overall gains were(part 3).
Several years ago (97) I bought a moderately wrecked PCA club race care. It is a 1987 924S. The previous owner put it on its side at a club race and decided to sell it lock stock and barrel(he had just bought a 944turbo). So what I got was a club race ready car, street tires and rims, brand new track tires and rims and a trailer full of extra parts. All for a $1,000.00.
I spent the next year at drivers ed events and chasing every electrical failure that you can imagine. They would always hit right when I was finally starting to smooth out my line and lower my lap times. The up side was that I would get to drive someone elses track car home while my car rode home in luxury in their trailer. PCA people are the best.
In short, 2 kids and 3.5 years later its time to get back in the seat.
BASELINE:
the car runs great- with minor mods(chip,K&N air filter,test pipe)it dynoed out at 138hp(chip not installed).
PLANS:
polished intake, i'll do it myself if I have to.
MSDS header and low restriction muffler.
Reworked mass air flow sensor
cone style air intake filter with fresh air induction port using the fender area where the front turn signal/reflector is located.
Possible head rework depending on budget.
New wires, coil, spark management and plugs
Overall lightening of the car. trying to get down to 2200lbs or less with driver in the seat(I'm trying trim lbs off my chassis also).
Here is where I need the help. I want advice, recommendations, no-no's, and the benefit of all your experiences. Well thanks for sticking with me to the end of part 1. More later as the parts arrive and the car starts to take shape.
Chri
wdb  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a really good idea. is anybody good at charts and graphs ? maybe a slide rule kinda thing. On the left from bottom of page to the top is a column that reads 1000 ,2000,3000,4000 etc. starting on the bottom,left to right is the parts and mods you can do for that price range (labor not encluded ). alot of details, gotta talk to everyone,what did you do,how much did it cost,what was the percieved benefit. what would be the priority, SAFETY , PERFORMANCE ,COST of INSTALATION , EASE of INSTALATION , HMMM sounds like work . would definitly be a loooong term project ... now I know why it hasm't been done already . EH it was a thought .

[ This Message was edited by: wdb on 2002-03-09 10:33 ]
wdb  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know ...on second thought, this may not be that hard

924 restoration guide

PERFORMANCE SAFETY

might be a good idea for the tech section upgrade . to give people an idea of what is possible and how much time and effort and money it will cost. anyone have any ideas on refining this rough first draft . I think you hit on something CRISOC

[ This Message was edited by: wdb on 2002-03-09 16:45 ]

[ This Message was edited by: wdb on 2002-03-09 16:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: wdb on 2002-03-09 16:53 ]
dwak  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Performance should be the x or horizontal axis and cost the vertical or y-axis and then in an ideal world the line plotted should be one to one or a 45 degree line. No?
wdb  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, the idea is a quick reference guide to upgrades, mods and restoration ,in relation to cost and work involved , not a performance to dollar spent plot line. but that can be done as well .maybe several graphs will be needed .Its the " I have a thusand dollars to spend what should I do first " question , I'm trying to answer. it does not make much sense to rebuild the engine ,if your bushings ,shocks ,tires, brakes,suspention and, streering are in bad shape. I was hoping to lay out a guide to what should be done first , if you dont have the money to do it ALL at one time . after you have repaired and or replaced all the things in section 1 you move on to two. a structured (in order of importance to safety) guide to restoring the 924 ,with the cost kept in mind .

[ This Message was edited by: wdb on 2002-03-10 09:03 ]
dwak  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! OK then.
1.Brakes
2.Steering
3.Fuel leaks
4.Exhaust (leaks)
5.Suspension
6.Modest performance mods.
Have I got it right now?

wdb  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes . now add in part #'s ,price , aprox time to do work,special tools,techniques or warnings for that job. organize it each section in order of accending cost and you'll be done . Thanks DWAK .
P.S.let me know when your finnished.
chrisoc  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how the car sits now:
brakes-racing pads,calipers,rotors and stainless lines.
tires-turbo rims 7"&8" x 16" with R1s(stickers still on then)
chassis-4 point roll-cage. turbo front and rear sway bars. shock tower brace. adjustable shocks all 4 corners. springs. reinforced front A arms.
Interior-sparco 1 piece race seat. 5 pt. harnesses both sides. quick release door net. camera mount. wide angle rear view mirror. fire extinguisher. emergency cut off(also on exterior)
Engine/exhaust-test pipe, chip(not installed at this time)turbo motor mounts, k&n air filter in stock air box.
Exterior-wrinkled and road rashed other than that stock. Oh-fiberglass sunroof panel replacement.
Right now safety is up to par until I decide to club race.
Started pulling extra weight from interior, engine bay and body.
Got to get back to work.
Chri
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: