Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

possible ? 72-87 AMC 6 and 8 cylinder swaps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wdb  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: possible ? 72-87 AMC 6 and 8 cylinder swaps Reply with quote

I was digging around the AMC sites for info on the concord,spirit etc. I found out that the auto trans used on the 79 concord 2.0 liter (TF-904 Chrysler ) (bell housing bolt pattern specific to AMC ) was also used on the 2.0L 2.5L 3.8L 4.2L AMC inline 6 cylinders ,and early 273, 318, 340 8 cylindrs , but they also said the manual trans was (hr-1 ) and had a unique bolt pattern . is it likely they used a different 2.o L engine between the manual trans and auto ,I think it would be easier to change/use a differnert bell housing than to use a differnet engine , or am I misunderstanding . to many numbers ,bell housing ,clutch ,input splines ,ford ,chrysler, porsche , 4,6,8, cylinders ,AHHH , let me know if you can make sense of it .

http://pub186.ezboard.com/famcforumdrivetrainmodifications.showMessage?topicID=491.topic

http://www.bit.spt.fi/antti-ville.nauha/tech.html

http://www.matadorcoupe.com/images/trannyappchart.jpg

http://www.matadorcoupe.com/trannyspecs.htm
Pat Dolan  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6 and 8 cyl AMC engines all share the same bolt pattern, if I remember correctly. This is because there was only two engines, albeit of varying displacements over the years. The sixes were 232 and 258, the 8s 290, 304, 343, 390, 401, all basically from the same castings.

The only four I can remember was a 2 litre, found in Gremlins around 1978/80 or so (I think also available in Concorde). It was basically the Audi 100LS/Porsche 924 engine. Have no idea what bolt pattern was used, since they were so rare nobody I know ever had one out of a car.

I guess the question that begs to be asked is why would anyone want to put any of these orphan engines in a 924???

Pat
wdb  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya look everywhere at everything to find out whats possible , then look at cost , parts avilablity , and how hard its gonna be . then you decide what ya wanna do . so far building up the stock motor (stroking it to 2.3L with a 95.5 mm VW tdi crank) and supercharging it ,is looking to be the easiest ,most cost effective path , although I havent varified the vw crank or the vw 20 valve head will bolt up ,I'm fairly sure they will , but ya never know ,I could be mistaken .

there was another 4 , 2.5L amc got from gm , when the 2.0 wasnt selling .
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone with the time needes to do some research seems like.
Im to busy right now getting up at 4:00am during the week you know
my weekends are kind of full..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cadeon  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inline 6 in the Jeep Cherokees (and wranglers) is decendent of the AMC 6... they are 190hp stock. I think this AMC compatibility is definatly worth looking into.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: