Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Painting car.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timstar92404  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Painting car. Reply with quote

this sommer when the weather gets good i want to strip the entire paint off of my car hopefully in a weekd at most and then get it painted. I'm not sure how hard it will be to strip the paint off. Sanding would take too long... i'm thinking of usign brush on chemical stripper outdoors not shure how well that would work. And if you use chemical stripper wont' you have to wash the bare metal afterwards? water would make the metal rust immediately so i don't know how that would work.

also i'm thinking of buying a compressor for 160 bucks a spray gun for 200 bucks and paint and doing it myself. i have never done something like this and so i dont' want to mess it up. i know painting outdoors would mess up the paitn because i already have painted my roof with cans and all kinds of dust and dit is stuck to the paint.

i don't have an indoor garage but i have a cover (roof but no walls ) to park the car under i was thinking maybe cleaning it as best as i can so ther is no dust and then making walls with big sheets of plastic at least ot keep out wind and new dust.
mikecoupegt  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Outdoor painting Reply with quote

Tim;

I have a friend that is a bodyman by trade, currently teaching at a local highschool. Anyway that is besides the point.

I watched him paint my brothers 912 outside. He did it early in the morning when there was little or no breeze. By doing this the car had a good time to breath and dry between coats, and with the lack of wind/breeze, no dust or dirt was added to the painting process. If you are prepared to do a couple of coats, then a quick sand between the coats of paint gets rid of unwanted dirt and dust, and helps give the car that extra depth found in some paint jobs.

Just my opinion. Maybe Joe could give some more insight. His car looks great, but i dont know where he painted it!

Mike
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT strip off the existing paint!. You will find every dent that car has had in the last 20 years. You only need to do the body work on the bad spots..then hand sand the existing paint with 400-600 grit. Stripping off the old paint is not a benefit to 99% of cars. This is only done in ground up restorations or if there are many years of paint jobs underneath and deep chipping has become a big problem. Don't make a big job MAMMOTH!

1978-#53 "D" track racer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
924guy  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read someplace that sanding to the metal also removes the anit rust zinc coating as well, so you want to be carefull of this...

does anyone know if there is a primer with zinc in it to restore this protection ? just curious..

id like to try this as well, ive "helped" paint cars a few times, but never done the actual spraying myself.. something ive always wanted to try, im seriously considering gelcoat for my 931, from what i understand its pretty tolarant of mistakes, but also rather expensive..with all the glass panels going on my 931 though, it seems it might be a good option ... i need to find a couple good books on it and read up....
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, don't strip it to bare metal, bad idea...
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have painted three cars on a heavily traveled road. 924guy knows where it is.
77 924 painted maroon single stage. Came out good
Repainted this car Polar Silver when I did the conversion to a GT lookalike.
Came out fantastic. two stage paint and clear.
Two tone silver 79 924 turbo to Cassis '82 911 color that also came out great. Two stage paint and clear.

A couple of things to remember. Don't wipe car with a cloth that has been in a washer with fabric softner. Try not to touch the car with bare hands.
Only repair parts that need it and try not to get to bare metal. You will remove zinc coating.
Do not handle car wax that day, ditto any oils etc.
Wait for a real calm day. Sunday mornings are best.
I would not sand between coats. It may not have dried. You will hate yourself later. We went heavy on the clear coat and smoothed it out with 800,1200 and 2000 after it was painted.

REMOVE ALL TRIM FIRST
88 924S SE
87 911 Targa stock
gohim  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spraycan paint reacts with many commercial (spraygun) paints and thinners.

The brand of paint and thinner you use may not like the primer you use, of the thinner you use with it. Consult a auto paint shop before you buy any paint, and tell him what you have used on the car, what was on the car, and what you are looking for. The guy at the shop should be able to tell you what paint to use with which thinner to minimize reactions between the original paint, the spraycan stuff you used, and the stuff you want to use.

If still don't understand why you are planning on blowing hundreds of dollars on equipment and paint to paint a car that you say you don't have the money to put a water pump into.
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

924guy...I use a product made by RM called epoxy primer that is rich in Zinc. You can also buy a product called zinc rich...but that us used where you are welding...but great for inside of panel that have bare metal....but mostly used on the back side of patches prior to welding. It's not meant to be used as a "primer" so to speak. Hope that helps you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
timstar92404  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm only working part time and going to school so i have ot save up for a while before i can paint it. someone who works at a body shop told me macco will ruin the car ( thats what i originally wanted to do) and said paint job would cost at least 2 grand. i wanted to strip the car cus i see some rust spots on the lower parts of the car.

can i just stripp the spray can off the roof and samd to metal wher i see the rust and the just prime the whole car. Also i have no clue what type of paint is on my car... doesn't lookw original ot me or maybe it is.

painting myself would probably cost alot less but probably the same as a cheap maaco job. wil probably have to spen 500 bucks on equipment.

anyways i want to paint it this summer but i'm not exactly sure how.

i've never painted so i might screw up and not have could adhesion of paint or chipping of paint do to bad paint job. don't know
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you do it your self look at the internet for paint help there s a few sites that show you how to paint your car.. I just today buffed and polished my hood thats all I had time for..had to blow the fallen leaves
up and fill the rubbish bin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bluejayfan  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quality "etch" primer will replace the phosphate coating on the metal (think zinc coating). That's the stuff that sands off black from bare metal and provides the rust corrosion. As stated above, there's no sense to removing all the paint coating unless the car has been painted multiple times. If the top coat is stable (doesn't rub off with lacquer thinner) then you'll be okay to sand it down with a 180 grit and work from there. Good advice noted above: don't make this project a mammoth one!! My car's PO did the same: paint stripper and a grinder and then wound up selling me the car for peanuts because he didn't know what to do with it from there!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: