Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

WGI Enduro 10/16 - planning thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you'll be re-setting the alignment after adjusting ride heights?

Here's my latest on radios. I do agree that if Andy can let us borrow his pro setup, we'd be styling! Andy, do you have access to enough radios - 3 min for the two cars and a pitside communicator?

I heard back from Sampson - nearly $300 just for connections and helmet kit! WTF? Ryoji, you're totally right, this stuff is too simple to not just make. Gregg, my crew chief, is likewise an elect. eng, and can re-work the connections, etc, as needed. I think we'll continue with our efforts to get the FRS radios working anyway, as I can benefit from using them locally in my car at Waterford. I am now thinking I'm going to get one of the $50 motorcycle helmet kits that WDB posted the links to, makes sense, rig it up with an external antenna as noted, give it a try. It's got the PTT, everything needed, as noted, for so much better cost.

I agree with PTT switch mounting - a friend had it velcro-strapped to his shifter, worked fine.

For the longer term, one of my coworkers is actually using a 5W CB radio for comm. He said he'd like to get the output boosted, but it's working quite well for him.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
ryoji  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally reached one of my friends who has a set in SpecMiata class.

GMRS is good enough and gives more channel selections. FRS do nothing. That's why Race shop offers GMRS for most of amateur racers. He uses GMRS and found no problem at the Summit Point, Watkins Glen, Nelsons, ..., except a part of LimeRock Park. LRP is smaller track but has a hill. Ear Buds are used for blocking noises. Engines are so loud! He does not care much about mic. He said some use just a regular phone's external microphne. Most important thing is that you want to listen to your crew's message on the track condition, yellow flag, etc. Not what you speak. He reminds me that I can make long quiet talk when I run off a track - when not running, I kill the engine. No one runs around you. And "license? You drive your car on 80 MPH unless you see a police".
ryoji  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report for a radio(GMRS) at the Glen. We used 4watts and 2watts radios without attaching to an external antenna. FedEx lost my package and the connector is still somewhere in the US out there, they think but don't know where.

There was no problem communicating with a fixed (hand held) antenna in the car in the short track (2.4 mile). Clear and loud. In fact, I had to use 3/10 volume level with speakers set (not earbuds).

There may be a spot or two having little problem at the shoe in the long track (3.5 mile). I know one time, JJ was talking but not sure what he said.

It was so nice been informed what was going on from crews, before, during and after a race. Green flag and last lap before coming into a front straight. Anthing else before flaggers show!
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXCELLENT!!! I knew this thing could be worked out - though I'm amazed the range was that good!!!

Yeah, that was my impression of the speaker set - impressively loud!

So, you guys have fun? Tires scrubbed in and ready to go? Were you driving a new car? If I remember correctly, you were perhaps trying out a new 944?
'82 931 Plat. Silver
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Jeremy, I have sent emails to SCCA about getting quick memberships, and to the organizers of the event about overcrew. I've heard no response from either. Typical SCCA.
'82 931 Plat. Silver
AndyFranklin  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that the Runoffs were last week, so basically the entire staff was at Mid-O. Don't need to bash them.

BTW - we finished 4th in the GT1 race. Missed the pole by .007, ran second until 4 to go when we tangled with the 3rd place car.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, true, good point. Good work on the finish! We'll have to keep our eyes tuned to Speed when they air...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
ryoji  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are waiting list to participate the Enduro now! It seems that so many teams want to be in Enduro series, too.

BTW, who is the rain man!

http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/tenday.html?locid=USNY1528

I bring my 10'x10' tent, too.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're good like that, right???
'82 931 Plat. Silver
wdb  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its gonna rain maybe you should buy some cheap shower cutains .you could tie a rope from 1 leg to the other , top and bottom ,and use clothe's pins (with springs) to attach the shower cutains on 2 sides .to keep out the rain . beta to havit n not need it
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were all set with canopies but Ryogi it probably wouldn't hurt if you brought your pop up just in case.

We have two 10X20 foot canopies with side curtains and at least one end curtain so at least two of the four sides will keep us dryer from the elements on pit road. If we put the second one up next to the truck than we will have three sides of full weather protection just gotta remember to park the truck in a way so were protected from the high winds (20 MPH it's predicted this weekend) back at the paddock.

I think our cars will do pretty good in the wet. in 2002, Dad was able to pass vettes in a solid downpour at the Glen.

Let's hope we both draw a very high grid position out of the hat because that first turn first lap in a steady rain is going to produce some problems. Maybe we could just elect to start from the back of the grid? Something to chew on.

I guess we need to figure outhow best to make our windshields clear on the inside. We have some neoprene hosing and some fresh air ducting but probably not enough to outfit two cars. We need some smaller hosing to draw air in from the outside and point it right at the inside of the windshield on the drivers side. Vaughan or Ryogi do you guys have any evtra neoprene hosing that you could bring with. If I order it now it won't get here in time. We do have a couple of feet of laundry dryer aluminum ducting but it's way too big at 6in OD to try to fit inbetween the drivers door and the steering wheel. Although if we run it along the dash we could make it work from the passenger side and poke holes in it along the length of the dash and pray that there isn't a lot of caution laps. Otherwise we have some clean rags and we would need to get two foot long sticks of wood and tape the rags to the end of it to wipe the inside of the windshield.
#53 Porsche 924 (sold '06)
#35 Porsche 924 (R.I.P. '06)
#141 Porsche 944 944 Cup
FLAG Motorsports
"Fast Lucky And Good"
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your email.

I'll bring my Rain-X AntiFog too, to use if you like.

V
'82 931 Plat. Silver
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I intend to pick up to get some air moving:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=50052

That plus some 3" hose should be perfect.
'82 931 Plat. Silver
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughan, those bilge fans would work perfectly!! Checking with dad on the amps. We could mount those anywhere with sheet metal screws inside the cabin.
#53 Porsche 924 (sold '06)
#35 Porsche 924 (R.I.P. '06)
#141 Porsche 944 944 Cup
FLAG Motorsports
"Fast Lucky And Good"
wdb  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an old hair dryer will give you the option of adding heat to the airflow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: